Duration: 8 weeks
Credits: 3 credits
The field of strategic communication is growing at a rapid pace. To make things even more challenging, strategic communication professionals must coordinate responses between organizations separated by time and space as companies expand globally. These conditions require effective leadership. In COM 60811, you’ll learn what it takes to be a leader in global strategic communication, studying the theories and strategies that will help you succeed in this rapidly expanding field.
What You’ll Learn in COM 60811
This course provides you with theoretical background in leadership, and the opportunity to apply what you learn to strategic communication cases and to your own professional experiences. You will also explore how your personality impacts your leadership style, and how leadership style may change in different global and cultural contexts. It also encourages you to think proactively about leadership challenges in these contexts and to articulate theoretically-informed analyses and evaluations of leadership in action.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Theories and concepts related to leadership, with an eye towards global leadership
- Leadership, Communication, and Culture
- Leadership, Communication, and Global Teams
- Communication and Leading Global Strategic Change
- Transformational Leadership and Crisis Leadership
- Leadership and Organizational Change
- Leadership, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), and Negotiation in Global Contexts
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of COM 60811 Leadership and Global Strategic Communication, you will be able to:
- Exhibit mastery of theories related to leadership and to strategic communication in global contexts.
- Articulate the relationship between theory and the practice of leadership as it relates to global strategic communication, and apply theoretical concepts and principles to real world contexts.
- Apply leadership and strategic communication theory to real-world situations and scenarios.
- Explain the role of leadership and culture in global strategic communication.
- Compare and contrast notions of leadership, corporate social responsibility across cultural contexts.
*Disclaimer: Course content and outcomes may vary and are subject to change without notice.
Request More Information
To learn more about the online Masters of Communication curriculum from Purdue University, including Leadership and Global Strategic Communication, call (877) 497-5851 to speak with an admissions representative or request more information.