Duration: 8 weeks
Credits: 3 credits
Multimedia is a powerful tool that we can use to create active learning that motivates students and inspires lifelong, independent learners. In EDCI 56600 Educational Applications of Multimedia, you’ll learn the fundamentals of multimedia learning and discover the tools you’ll need to effectively and meaningfully integrate multimedia to enhance learning.
What You’ll Learn in EDCI 56600
This course examines educational applications of multimedia tools. You’ll learn the fundamentals of design and development, and the evaluation of open-ended, nonlinear computer-based applications in educational settings.
You’ll also explore the incorporation of digitized media (sound, photographs, and motion clips) into multimedia plans. Research findings, as well as the theoretical approaches of multimedia in teaching and learning activities, will also be examined. Finally, you’ll use various media to create multimedia instructional materials.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- The Great Media Debate
- The Possibilities of Multimedia
- Beginning Principles for Multimedia Learning
- Implications for Instructional Design of Multimedia
- Advanced Principles of Multimedia Learning
- Models and Theories for Multimedia Learning
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of EDCI 56600 Educational Applications of Multimedia, you will be able to:
- Explain the effectiveness of a specific instructional design principle in educational multimedia design.
- Demonstrate when and how to use specific instructional design principles within a given educational multimedia learning environment.
- Address the key principles and methods for evaluating student outcomes in a multimedia learning environment.
- Develop educational computer-based multimedia instructional materials with various software and tools.
- Be familiar with the history of multimedia research, design, and underlying assumptions from relevant theorists.
- Explain variations in usability testing and its role in multimedia development.
*Disclaimer: Course content and outcomes may vary and are subject to change without notice.
Request More Information
To learn more about the online MSEd in Learning Design and Technology curriculum from Purdue University, including Educational Applications of Multimedia, call (877) 497-5851 to speak with an admissions advisor or request more information.