What are the admissions requirements for the online programs?
Requirements vary for each program. Go to our Admissions page for more information, or call us at 877-497-5851 to speak to an advisor.
How do online classes work?
When you start the program, you will be given access to a virtual classroom interface. Your instructor will post coursework, syllabi, assignments, and messages every week. You will also use discussion boards, e-mail, and chat to communicate with your classmates and your instructor. You can log on and do your coursework at any time that is convenient for you, but you must turn in your assignments by the deadlines your instructor sets.
Are Purdue’s online programs fundamentally different from the programs offered on Purdue’s campuses?
No. Assignments and projects may be slightly different to work with the online format, but the coursework is just as rigorous and challenging as the on-campus programs. You will be taught by experienced Purdue instructors and, upon graduation, you will receive the same Purdue diploma as on-campus students.
How much time should I allow for doing homework and completing assignments?
As in an on-campus program, you should plan on devoting about 15 to 20 hours a week to coursework, depending on your study habits.
What if I have a question about homework or need help with a technical issue?
The faculty and staff at Purdue are dedicated to your success at the University and in the future. Your instructor will set weekly times for one-on-one electronic consultation and will answer emails in a timely fashion. Technical support is available to help you handle hardware and software issues, and we have dedicated staff available to talk to you about financial aid, scheduling, or any other administrative issues.
What are the technical requirements for the program?
Using the online learning interface and system successfully requires you to have certain software and hardware. Be sure your equipment meets the minimum requirements, listed below.
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- 700 MHZ Pentium III Processor computer, with sound card and speakers
- 256 MB RAM
- 20 GB free hard drive space
- CD-ROM drive
- 56k modem, or higher (such as cable modem or DSL), for broadband access
- Windows XP or later / Mac OS X
- MS Office 2000 or later (MS Office includes Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Internet Service Provider (ISP)
- Internet access
- E-mail account
- Internet Explorer 6.x(PC), Netscape 7.2 (PC), or later, or Mozilla Firefox (PC/Mac) / Safari 1.2 or higher (Mac)
- High-speed, broadband connection
- Acrobat Reader 7.0 or later (free download)
- Virus Protection Software: McAfee/Norton Antivirus or similar software
- Java, Shockwave, or Flash Plug-in (latest version)
Mac System Requirements
- 500 MHZ iMac or iBook 63 or faster (minimum)
How do I apply?
Check the Admissions page for general admissions requirements or go to the your specific program page for detailed requirements.
Contact us at 877-497-5851 to get answers to any other questions you may have about studying online at Purdue University, or to request more information.