Amplify: Your Communication
Clear, powerful and concise communication is vital in today’s technology-driven world. As new avenues for communication emerge, it is paramount that practitioners thoroughly understand both quantitative and qualitative communication methodologies, as this will prepare them for success.
Purdue University’s online Master of Science in Communication program is designed for working professionals who want to excel in strategic communication and advance their careers.
The program offers two concentrations, or the ability to customize your own concentration focused on industry specific knowledge. You’ll be empowered to amplify your branding and messaging strategies across international, national, and local platforms with deeper critical-thinking and strategic-communication skills, and be able to pivot quickly in an ever-changing marketplace.
|86% Work Full Time||49% In Management Roles||74% In Communications|
|27% Public Sector||41% Private Sector||33% Not-for-Profit|
Amplify: Your Achievement
Given the growth and specialization of the communications industry, Purdue’s online Master of Science in Communication speaks directly to the topics critical for advancement in the communication industry and provides a deeper focus with concentrations in four areas:
Strategic Communication/Public Relations Concentration
You’ll learn to identify and overcome key issues to successfully manage organizational relationships with stakeholders, develop communication strategies tailored to the unique needs of specific publics, and facilitate effective responses to organizational crises while understanding global challenges associated with strategic communication initiatives.
Integrated Communication and Advertising Concentration
Understand the need, and how to, engage all stakeholders within an organization to create effective messaging strategies, using persuasion theory to develop strategies and branding initiatives that reflect the integration of marketing, advertising, and public relations.
- Communication and Leadership
- Health Communication
You’ll complete the degree in just 20 months using what you learn in your current career and establishing yourself as a communication expert.
92% of graduates were happy with their experience in the online MS in Communication program.
Students of the online MS in Communication program not only graduate with a deep understanding of the theory and strategy behind impactful strategic communication, but are influenced by a faculty of practitioners who bring decades of career experience into their teaching methods.
MS in Communication Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of Purdue’s online master’s in communication program, students demonstrate a proficiency in the following areas:
- Evaluation of communication to a global audience
- Methodological foundation of strategic communication
- Application of ethical principles and decision making
- Audience considerations, credibility and ethics
- Writing as it relates to media, public relations and advertising
- Analysis of social media engagement
A Snapshot of Outcomes
The average number of alumni who rated themselves very or extremely effective at the following skills after graduation:
- Developing strategic communication plans
- Tailoring messages to different audiences / stakeholders
- Thinking critically about communication
- Using communication, information, and social technology
- Communicating complex ideas effectively
The increase in the number of alumni who felt they were very or extremely effective at applying communication theory to address communication needs following graduation.
To better align with your career interests, the online communication program offers two concentrations.
- Strategic Communication/Public Relations: Ideal for aspiring PR professionals, this concentration develops your understanding of the interactions between organizations and audiences with courses that emphasize key public relations concepts.
- Integrated Communication & Advertising: Explore the intersection of marketing, advertising, public relations and corporate communication. This concentration teaches you to develop effective messaging strategies to engage key stakeholders and work across organizational boundaries.
You also have the option to fully customize your degree from a list of approved elective courses.
Winner of the 2017 John R. Bourne Outstanding Online Program Award
Online Learning Consortium
Amplify: Your Success
The online master's in communication program embodies the values that the Brian Lamb School of Communication was founded on, which include a commitment to openness in communication and public affairs. Inspired by this commitment, the curriculum for the graduate degree in communication was designed to teach students more than the textbook definitions of theory and strategy and ensures that they achieve a heightened understanding of communication and the tools needed to leverage effective messaging across any medium. Graduates of the program leave ready to:
- Apply strategies based on concepts and theories to solve organizational problems
- Develop brands and images for organizations
- Communicate with investors and influence decision-making
- Leverage communication to international, national and local audiences
- Build and manage relationships through social media
An MS in Communication is the first step towards a high-paying career in the field of communications and public relations. Graduates of Purdue’s MS COMM program will be prepared for leadership positions in PR firms, ad agencies, non-profits, government organizations, and any other sector that values effective communication skills.
Some of the sample job titles you can earn with a master’s in communication include:
- Marketing Communications Strategist
- Corporate Communications Manager
- Public Information Officer
- Community Relations Liaison
- Organizational Development Director
Amplify: Your Connections
Purdue University strives to help you foster valuable connections and is committed to your career growth. Purdue’s online MS in Communication program provides you with the opportunity to build strong professional relationships with your fellow classmates, who come from a wide array of professional backgrounds. Our students bring years of professional communications experience and are employed by such leading companies and organizations as:
- United Way
- Time Warner Cable News
- John Deere
The professional networking opportunities available to you as student in Purdue’s online MS COMM program can help you establish valuable connections with current, former, and future communications leaders.
With an online master’s in communication, you will gain vital knowledge in communication courses covering business, marketing, politics, organizational communications and public relations. A Master of Science in Communication from Purdue University equips you to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and gives you a firm understanding of tools and platforms available for today’s media.
Learn how earning your MS in Communication degree from Purdue University can prepare you to change the future with a highly specialized skillset. Call us today at 877-497-5851 to speak to an admissions adviser or complete the request more information form and a representative will contact you right away.
Online Graduate Certificate Available
Quickly broaden your skillset to meet current communication needs with the online Graduate Certificate in Strategic Communication Management. Earn the certificate in as few as 24-weeks, and immediately apply your new skills to a range of fields.