Dr. Siddika Selcen Guzey is an Assistant Professor in Science Education in the Curriculum and Instruction program at Purdue University. Siddika is an avid researcher in the teaching and learning of STEM education, as well as technology integration in the teaching and learning of biology. Her most recent research projects — two of which are funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and one by the Indiana Department of Education — include a large-scale, longitudinal study of engineering design and practices in K-12 science classes. These include a study of student discourse in collaborative engineering-design groups in elementary and secondary classrooms.
- Ph.D. — Science Education, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- M.A. — Science Education, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- B.A. — Biology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Dr. Guzey is working on three research projects that focus on integrated STEM education.
- Integration of Engineering Design and Life Science: Investigating the influence of an Intervention on Student Interest and Motivation in STEM Fields, if funded by the NSF. It aims to investigate the integration of engineering design, practices, and thinking into middle-school life-science curriculum while providing opportunities for students to foster knowledge of biological sciences and increase interest in Life STEM fields.
The Engineering to Transform the Education of Analysis, Mathematics, and Science in a Team-Based, Targeted Mathematics-Science Partnership (EngrTEAMS) is also funded by NSF. The project is an engineering, design-based approach to teacher professional development that has 50 teachers per year designing curricular units for science topic areas related to the Next Generation Science Standards.
- The designSTEM is a multi-year project funded by the Indiana Department of Education. The goal of the designSTEM is to help K-12 STEM teachers implement integrated STEM approaches. The project includes summer professional development and Professional Learning Communities (PLC) during the school year.
For more information on Professor Guzey, including professional publications and honors and awards, visit her full profile.