Online Master of Science in Engineering Technology
Purdue University West Lafayette (Main Campus)
Solve Industry Challenges with Science and Technology
Connect engineering, technology and science to practical industrial or business applications and emerge as a leader in your field. With Purdue's online MS in Engineering Technology program offered through our Polytechnic Institute, you'll gain deep technical knowledge, essential skills and direct experiences in the discipline.
#5 School in the U.S. for Student Engagement – Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education 2021
#3 Best Online Master's in Engineering Programs (tie) – U.S. News & World Report 2022
#7 Most Innovative School in the U.S. - U.S. News & World Report 2022
#9 Public University in the U.S. - Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education 2021
Is This the Right Program for You?
The MS in Engineering Technology is designed for students with an undergraduate degree in engineering, engineering technology, science, information technology or business. The program is uniquely equipped to prepare you for a variety of careers, but it does not prepare you to be a theoretical engineer and shouldn’t be confused with a graduate degree in engineering science.
When you graduate from the engineering technology program, you'll have the ability to solve business and industry challenges using existing sciences and technologies. You'll merge knowledge, art and skill to develop and impact the deployment of solutions to complex, real-world problems in manufacturing technology and many other areas.
Learn From the Experts
When you learn from Purdue University, you're learning from a leader in engineering technology education. In the program, you'll learn:
- How to apply an agile strategy
- Real-world, problem-solving skills from global case studies
- Within a dynamic curriculum that consistently adapts to industry trends
- From faculty who have firsthand, expert-level experience in business and industry
- "Smart manufacturing" techniques to analyze data and better manage processes
- To gain greater control as a technology manager
- About cybersecurity and the internet of things as they relate to manufacturing and business
Apply Essential Knowledge
As you build your foundation of skills throughout the program, you'll become recognized as a technology leader, faster. By graduation, you can:
- Design and guide complex collaborations
- Drive innovative and technical solutions
- Achieve strategic outcomes with an agile approach
- Identify and analyze energy-saving opportunities of commercial/industrial systems with an economic evaluation of energy audit training
- Improve efficiency, process flows and product quality across new and legacy equipment that's interconnected
- Apply best practices of advanced networked systems that combine sensors, data, models and algorithms
- Globally apply the interaction of engineering/professional ethics, project management and cultural diversity in the workplace
- Mine data, and report valid quantitative or qualitative results to perform due diligence and create comprehensive proposals for potential solutions
- Judge enterprise cybersecurity and industrial espionage risks, including the value of utilizing the Internet of Things
- Understand operation and maintenance processes for modern high-performance buildings, including indoor air quality and cost-effective, renewable energy savings measures in commercial and industrial facilities
As a graduate of the program, you'll be prepared for advanced technical positions and leadership roles where you'll develop and implement problem-solving strategies that can be scaled across entire businesses. You'll be qualified to apply for positions in industry, academia and government in applied research, solution development, and management, and be confident in pursuing entrepreneurial ventures.
By graduation, you'll be at the forefront of emerging areas such as project management, sustainable energy, agile strategy and smart manufacturing. And you'll be connected to a network of proud alumni who are employed at Fortune 500 companies and other leading organizations throughout the nation, such as Rolls-Royce, Caterpillar, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Johnson & Johnson, Motorola, Cummins, 3M, Boeing, FCA, ExxonMobil, Johnson Controls and many more.
Admissions decisions are based on individual experience and the applicant’s fit with the program.
To be considered for admission, students must complete a phone interview with an admissions advisor and submit a completed application as well as the following:
- 3 years of relevant professional experience
- An updated resume
- 3.0 cumulative GPA for a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Official transcripts from all universities attended, including transfer credits
- (3) professional letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your abilities
- A 500-word personal statement
- An application fee of $60 ($75 for international students)
In addition to the admission requirements noted on the first tab, international students must also provide the following:
- Official transcripts from all universities attended in the original language as well as English translation for transcripts and diplomas not in English
- An application fee of $75
Non-native English speakers must also submit the following:
- TOEFL test scores that are less than two years old and meet the following requirements:
- Minimum Overall: 80
- Writing: 18
- Speaking: 18
- Listening: 14
- Reading: 19
IELTS test scores that are less than two years old and meet the following requirements:
- Minimum Overall: 6.5
- Writing: 6.5
- Speaking: 6.0
- Listening: 6.0
- Reading: 5.5
- Duolingo test scores that are less than two years old and meet the following requirements:
- total score of 115 and 115 on each subscore
Prior to starting your online application, you must first complete a phone interview with an admissions advisor. To schedule your phone interview, call 877-497-5851.
Once you have completed your phone interview, you are ready to complete the online application. Access the online application.
If you have any questions about filling out the application, request more information or call us at 877-497-5851 to speak with an admissions advisor.
What’s It Like to Learn Online?
Is the online program as credible as the ones offered on ground at Purdue?
Absolutely. You will be taught by the same experienced Purdue instructors as our on-ground students and, upon graduation, you will receive the same Purdue diploma as your on-campus peers. Assignments and projects may be slightly different to work with the online format, but the coursework is just as rigorous and challenging as the on-campus programs.
How do online classes work?
Most coursework is asynchronous, meaning that there are not specific times that you need to be online. When you start the program, you will be given access to a virtual classroom interface. Your instructor will post coursework, syllabi, assignments, and messages every week.
You will also use discussion boards, e-mail, and chat to communicate with your classmates and your instructor. You can log on and do your coursework at any time that is convenient for you, but you must turn in your assignments by the deadlines your instructor sets.
How much time should I allow for doing homework and completing assignments?
As in an on-campus program, you should plan on devoting about 15 to 20 hours a week to coursework, depending on your study habits.
What if I have a question about homework or need help with a technical issue?
The faculty and staff at Purdue are dedicated to your success at the University and in the future. Your instructor will set weekly times for one-on-one electronic consultations and will answer emails in a timely fashion.
Technical support is available to help you handle hardware and software issues, and we have dedicated staff available to talk to you about financial aid, scheduling, or any other administrative issues.
|Current Tuition Rates and Fees*||In-State||Out-of-State|
|PO Infrastructure Fee||$18.80||$18.80|
|Digital Education Fee||$50.00||$50.00|
|Graduate Differential Fee||$23.83||$23.83|
|Total Cost per Credit Hour||$890.00||$990.00|
|Total Credit Hours||30||30|
|Total Program Cost||$26,699.10||$29,699.10|
*Tuition and fees are charged on a per credit hour basis and are subject to annual increases. Annual increases may change the total program cost. Purdue faculty and staff fee remissions may not be applied to the online MS in Engineering Technology program.
Learn More About This Program
Prepare for a high-impact career as an engineering technology leader with the online MS in Engineering Technology from Purdue.
To learn more about the program, request more information or call 877-497-5851 to speak to an admissions advisor.