Duration: 8 weeks
Credits: 3 credits
EDPS 52000 Advanced Severe Characteristics will introduce you to the concepts and characteristics of severe disability to ensure you have the knowledge and skill needed to meet the diverse educational needs of this population. In addition, advanced Severe Characteristics introduces you to the concept of severe disability.
You’ll examine the characteristics of students with severe disabilities and learn how to incorporate their specific needs into the curriculum. You’ll explore the many influences (family, society, beliefs) that impact the lives of these individuals.
What You’ll Learn in EDPS 52000
This course provides you with foundational knowledge and skills in understanding the characteristics of students with severe disabilities and their related academic and social outcomes, issues and implications for accommodations and intervention. In addition, EDPS 52000 will develop your understanding of content standards and expand your skills in curriculum and lesson plan development.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Trends and Issues in Severe Disabilities
- Self-Determination and Person Centered Practices
- Inclusion and Access to Intervention Supports
- Evidence-Based Intervention
- Post-Secondary Outcomes
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of EDPS 52000, you will be able to:
- Identify the academic, behavioral, social-emotional, cognitive, communication and motor/physical characteristics of students with severe disabilities within a broad learning environment and with a multicultural perspective.
- Understand possible etiologies and outcomes.
- Apply educational implications for intervention.
- Understand and apply curriculum development.
- Understand and apply lesson plan development.
*Disclaimer: Course content and outcomes may vary and are subject to change without notice.
Request More Information
To learn more about the online MSEd in Special Education curriculum from Purdue University, including Advanced Severe Characteristics, call (877) 497-5851 to speak with an admissions advisor or request more information.