Duration: 8 weeks
Credits: 3 credits
The application of Special Education programs are the result of teachers and legislators coming together to ensure that students with various disabilities receive a proper education. EDPS 56800 Social, Legal and Ethical Issues in Special Education provides analysis and practical application of social, legal and ethical issues in the field of special education.
In this course, you’ll explore the history of special education, current federal legislation, multicultural education, inclusion and other issues of instructional environments/placements, and issues of ethical decision making for students with disabilities. You’ll also complete a series of commentaries designed to provide an opportunity to describe artifacts, explain rationale behind your choice and analyze what you have learned about the teaching profession and practice.
What You’ll Learn in EDPS 56800
This course provides analysis and practical application of social, legal, and ethical issues in the field of special education. You’ll explore such issues as special education funding, accommodations and modifications, free appropriate public education, and individualized education programs.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Historical Context of Special Education
- No Child Left Behind Act/Elementary Secondary Education Act
- Individuals with Disabilities Act
- Educational Disabilities
- Assessment and Informed Decision Making
- Identification and Placement
- Concerns and Considerations
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of EDPS 56800, you will be able to:
- Interpret case study materials to apply legal, social and ethical issues in special education.
- Demonstrate understanding of special education law and policy by supporting stances within their assigned commentaries.
- Synthesize course topics and concepts within reflections to recognize the complexities of the intent of policy and the implementation of policy.
- Demonstrate understanding of special education law and policy by completing an IEP.
*Disclaimer: Course content and outcomes may vary and are subject to change without notice.
Request More Information
To learn more about the online MSEd in Special Education curriculum from Purdue University, including Social, Legal and Ethical Issues in Special Education, call (877) 497-5851 to speak with an admissions advisor or request more information.