Online Master of Business Administration
Purdue University West Lafayette (Main Campus)
Build new leadership skills, 100% online
Earn your MBA degree online at Purdue University's Krannert School of Management, a world-class university recognized for excellence in business and technology.
Prepare for your next career success without changing your professional or family life.
A Top Producer of Fortune 500 CEOs
Several Fortune 500 leaders have graduated from Purdue, reports U.S. News & World Report.1
#3 MBA for Highest ROI
Earn the MBA Bloomberg Businessweek ranked #3 for best return on educational investment.2
Top 10 MBA in the World
The Wall Street Journal ranked Purdue University’s MBA program #9 in the world.3
#6 Most Innovative Nationwide
U.S. News & World Report named Purdue in the top 10 most innovative institutions for improvements in curriculum, faculty, students and technology.4
About the Purdue Online MBA
Earning the Purdue Online MBA gives you the analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills you need to lead teams and organizations. You’ll learn how competitive global environments are changing modern business and develop fundamental management skills that can drive your career forward. Build upon your technical or analytical background with a rigorous curriculum that teaches you to ask the right questions and turn data into knowledge.
- This AACSB-accredited program helps expand your professional opportunities, focusing on strategic leadership, business strategies, collaborative teamwork and more.
- Study when it’s convenient. Learning online gives you the flexibility you need to earn a degree without affecting your family or career responsibilities.
- Learn from Purdue's esteemed Krannert School of Management faculty in a dynamic online environment. The program includes case studies, research projects, remote collaboration and team-based learning.
About Krannert School of Management
Purdue’s Krannert School of Management is integrated with one of the world’s leading engineering, science and technology universities and teaches business concepts in a technical and analytical context. Graduates are immediately prepared to contribute and possess the leadership skills to quickly move up the ladder.
Krannert School of Management’s faculty, staff, students and alumni push the boundaries of knowledge and solve the world’s most complex problems every day. With its global reputation, Purdue’s Krannert School of Management is proud to report that its student population is one of the most internationally diverse of any U.S. management school.
You must submit all the items below to be considered for the Purdue Online MBA program:
- Statement of purpose (SOP)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Online MBA essays
- Professional resume with education, work experience and training
- Official transcripts for every higher education institution attended
- Interview feedback
- Video essay (KIRA)
- Your GMAT score. You may request a GMAT waiver if you have 3+ years of credible work experience and a 3.0 undergraduate GPA.
- Application review emphasizes your work experience, prior undergraduate academic record and professional training and test scores.
Statement of Purpose
Please submit a statement introducing yourself to the Admissions Committee (500 words max). Some topics you may wish to discuss include a brief academic and professional background, reason for seeking an MBA or master’s degree at Purdue, desired career path after graduation and your thoughts on giving back as a student and as an alumnus.
- All applicants must upload to the online application transcript(s) and/or academic document(s) for every institution of higher education attended. If a transcript and diploma/degree certificate is not in English, an English translation (certified by the college or university that issued it) must be uploaded.
- The uploaded transcript and/or academic document must be from the official version of the document. An official transcript bears the original signature of the registrar and/or the original seal of the issuing institution.
- If personal identifying information such as a student identification number or social security number appear on the document, REMOVE THIS INFORMATION from your electronic version of your document or mark out the information in black ink before scanning your document.
All transcripts and/or academic documents uploaded to the online application system are considered unofficial. The Purdue University Graduate School reserves the right to require official transcripts and/or academic documents at any time during the admissions process.
Letters of Recommendation
- Two online recommendations are required for your application to be received.
- Recommendations will only be accepted through the online application (no paper recommendations will be accepted).
- We prefer that recommenders be employers who are able to render an opinion on the basis of close, current and sustained observation. We strongly urge (but do not require) that one recommendation be from your direct supervisor. Recommendations from friends, family members, acquaintances and other sources unable to evaluate professional or academic qualifications for MBA study are not acceptable. No more than two recommendations are needed. We require that recommenders submit the recommendations online (instructions to do so are provided within the online application). Please note that we will not receive your application until at least two registered recommenders have submitted recommendations through the online application.
Online MBA Essays
- [Required] Essay 1: Please describe your experience and/or philosophy as a leader, supervisor or team manager (500 words max): What are some of the key challenges and successes you’ve had or expect to have?
- [Required] Essay 2: Team Approach (500 words max): What are your expectations of a peer- and team-based learning environment in which you go through a program with a major team-based component? (As part of your answer, please mention what skills you bring to working within such an approach, with an emphasis on how you best learn and how you help others learn.)
- [Optional] Essay 3 (300 words max): If you feel there are any parts of your application that require additional explanation or if there is any additional information you wish to share to help us fully understand your application, please share that information within this essay. Scholarships may be available; please indicate in optional essay 3 an interest in scholarships.
After submitting your application for the Purdue Online MBA, you will have the opportunity to participate in multiple video essay questions. Your application will not be reviewed without the video essay (KIRA). The questions are designed to assess core competencies that align to the Online MBA. The video essays are used by the Admissions Committee to identify specific business school competencies that we believe are key to building a diverse and strong cohort. Specifically, you will be asked questions that will give us insights into your position on the following topics:
- Leadership potential
At Krannert, like many other business schools, we find these are some of the key competencies that highly qualified candidates share. Additionally, we feel we get to know each candidate a little better as a result of the essays and gain insight that simply cannot be viewed on a written application.
Classes taught by experienced faculty; total number of credits: 48
MGMT 60000 Financial Accounting
The two-course accounting sequence employs a user’s perspective on the firm’s database. First, the standard accounting model is developed into a working tool, as no prior study of accounting is assumed. Then illustrative business cases are discussed to show how external reports conform to financial contracts and public regulation. Public reports primarily directed to investors and creditors are analyzed to reconstruct the economic events and managerial decisions underlying generally accepted accounting standards.
OBHR 68100 Managing Behavior in Organizations
Individual and group behavior are the central components of the study of behavior in organizations. Focus is on the managerial application of knowledge to issues such as motivation, group processes, leadership, organizational design structure and others. The course employs cases, exercises, discussions and lectures.
MGMT 67000 Business Analytics
Introduction to quantitative decision procedures under uncertainty. Applications of descriptive statistics, probability models, simulation models, interval estimates and hypothesis testing to management problems. Managerial-oriented cases are used in instruction.
MGMT 68300 Management Information Systems
The Internet and other information technologies have reshaped the economic, organizational, cultural and personal landscape. Managers, consultants and entrepreneurs are all expected to effectively utilize the technology to achieve the organizational goals. Organizations are now expected to not just adapt to technology changes, but also innovate taking advantage of the benefits of the technology and thrive using their new capabilities. Accordingly, the objective of the course is from the perspective of the Information Technology Executive Leadership interested in enhancing the organization’s competitive advantage. Specifically, in the course, we will study in detail what the different types of technologies are, how they can be taken advantage of and what the critical success factors are for successful implementation of each type.
MGMT 61000 Financial Management
Analysis of short-term working capital needs. Cash budgeting procedures, pro forma statements, major types of short-term loan arrangements and short-term asset management.
MGMT 62000 Marketing Management
An integrated analysis of major marketing decisions, including product pricing, advertising, distribution and sales force policies.
MGMT 65000 Strategic Management
Concepts and methods that integrate previous training in functional areas of management. The perspective is that of the general manager charged with directing the total enterprise. Emphasis is given to formulation and implementation of strategy.
MGMT 66000 Intro to Operations Management
As goods and services are produced and distributed, they move through a set of inter-related operations or processes in order to match supply with demand. The design of these operations for strategic advantage, investment in improving their efficiency and effectiveness and controlling these operations to meet performance objectives is the domain of Operations Management. The primary objective of the course is to provide an overview of this important functional area of business.
ECON 51400 Microeconomics
An introduction to microeconomic theory. Analysis of consumer demand, output and input decisions of firms, price determination, economic efficiency, market structures and market failure.
ECON 51500 Macroeconomics
Investigation of the causes of macroeconomic fluctuations in the economy. Looks at changes in inflation, unemployment, real output, interest rates and exchange rates, and explores why they occur, what their effects are and what, if any, role government should play in dealing with these problems. A mixture of theory and case studies with reference to historical case studies. Current macroeconomic problems will be discussed with a focus on the international aspects of macroeconomic problems.
MGMT 63000 Business Law
An examination of the nature of the legal environment from the viewpoint of the social and moral bases of law. Emphasis is given to the operation of our legal system and its significance in decision functions of management.
MGMT 69200 Managerial Communications Skills
Enhances student professionalism in managerial contexts by improving oral communication skills by developing strong oral presentation techniques.
MGMT 69000 Capstone Simulation
Advanced investigation in a specific management field at the graduate level. The course allows students to work in teams on a business simulation.
Elective courses to be determined.
NOTES AND CONDITIONS - PLEASE READ
2 Source: Bloomberg Businessweek, on the internet at https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-11-11/best-business-schools-2014-is-my-mba-worth-it-roi-at-top-schools.
3 Source: Times Higher Education/The Wall Street Journal, on the internet at https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/wsj-business-school-report.
4 Source: U.S. News & World Report, on the internet at https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/innovative.
5 Tuition and fees are subject to increase based on approval by the Purdue University Board of Trustees.
6 Plan of study subject to change.